July 6, 2010 · 17 comments

Home Made Greek style Yogurt

in Desserts,Vegetarian

A Total Delight

I love Greek yogurt. Other thinner bio type yogurts I could easily pass up but not the thick, creamy Greek yogurts. They make the perfect breakfast or light, healthy pudding. My favourite way to eat it is topped with a generous portion of summer fruits, cold fruit crumbles or even with a little home made jam swirled through.

But, and it’s a fairly big but, pots of Greek yogurt are quite expensive to buy. Especially in the quantities I buy it in. Alas it is not only a delectable food stuff for spooning direct from pot to mouth but it is ideal in cooking too – stirred into curries, made into dips, salad dressings, the list goes on and on. It is a food of plenty :)

Imagine my delight then when I found how easy it is to make luscious Greek style yogurt at home! I had previously encountered the yogurt maker which tends to produce the thinner style yogurt more traditional of the UK but never before thought of making extra thick, extra creamy, silky yogurt.

Maybe your next carton of shop bought yogurt might well be your last? I certainly won’t be buying as much as I used too, home made is the way forward for me. Making yogurt at home is easy, no fancy equipment required. It benefits your health and your wallet.

Greek Style Yogurt

• 1 litre full fat (or for creamier results gold top) milk.
  • 2 tablespoons of previously homemade yogurt or plain unflavored yogurt with active live cultures.
  1. Heat the milk (reserving two tablespoons) just to the boiling point and pour into a non-metal container.
  2. Let cool to lukewarm. A skin will form on top.
  3. Mix the two tablespoons of yogurt (homemade or commercial) with the reserved two tablespoons of milk.
  4. Add the yogurt to the lukewarm mixture, carefully pouring down the side so that any skin that may have formed on top is not disturbed.
  5. Cover with a clean dishtowel and place on another towel in a warm, dry place for at least 8 hours (or overnight) until it thickens. Aim to leave it no longer than 12 hours as the longer the yogurt coagulates beyond that time, the more sour the taste.
  6. Carefully drain any excess liquid.
  7. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before using.
  8. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container and use within 4-5 days.

NB Don’t forget to save a small amount to make the next batch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Sarah, Maison Cupcake July 6, 2010 at 13:14

Everyone I know with a yogurt maker is evangelical about them! I should find space in my cupboard.
Hope you are feeling good this week and getting back to your usual self!
Sarah, Maison Cupcake´s last blog post ..From Cybermummy to Masterchef with a bit of mayhem inbetween

George@CulinaryTravels July 6, 2010 at 14:29

The joy is that you don’t need a yogurt maker though Sarah. It is so simple without having to buy another space occupying kitchen gadget.

I am feeling 100% better thank you :)

Rhyleysgranny July 6, 2010 at 21:14

Goodness it sounds so easy. Does it taste nice and creamy George? No bitterness if your instructions are followed to the letter? I can’t wait to try this
Rhyleysgranny´s last blog post ..Mammy Ritas Sticky Ginger Bread

George@CulinaryTravels July 6, 2010 at 21:33

Not bitter at all Brenda provided you don’t leave it too long. It’s ultra creamy and mine was sweet but I guess it is partly down to the flavour of the milk used. You could always infuse the milk with flavours or swirl in some honey for added sweetness.

Maytina July 7, 2010 at 13:47

This treat is being pushed to the top of my ‘must make’ list! What a great recipe, thanks!
Maytina´s last blog post ..LOST Birthday Fete

George@CulinaryTravels July 7, 2010 at 15:52

Thank you Maytina. I hope you’ll enjoy making yogurt.

Whimsical Wife July 7, 2010 at 13:48

I had absolutely no idea how easy it was to make your own yoghurt! I shall have a little go as we eat loads of it – plain, as puddings and stirred into cooking !
Whimsical Wife´s last blog post ..Banana Loaf

George@CulinaryTravels July 7, 2010 at 15:53

I was surprised too Wendy. Enjoy :)

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 8, 2010 at 00:24

Oh I am definitely going to try this out!! I love greek yogurt but it’s so expensive – plus I’d love to make my own at home. Thank you! :)

George@CulinaryTravels July 8, 2010 at 08:52

I hope you’ll enjoy it Alycia. Home made is definitely so much more economical.

Phillipa July 9, 2010 at 07:46

Oh I love Greek yogurt. I will definitely try this. Thanks for posting :)

George@CulinaryTravels July 13, 2010 at 10:11

Thank you Phillipa, I hope you will enjoy.

Ailbhe September 16, 2010 at 10:18

Sounds almost too simple : ) Definitely will try Thanks for sharing this

George@CulinaryTravels September 16, 2010 at 13:42

Please let me know how you get on Ailbhe. Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as the Total yogurt.

Sally - My Custard Pie September 19, 2010 at 08:08

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Greek yoghurt is imported so VERY expensive in Dubai. I’ll be making this.
Sally – My Custard Pie´s last blog post ..Going back to my roots – Barszcz